Tuesday 3 January 2012

How I got my apprenticeship...

Well if I'm going to start a diary I may as well tell you a little bit about how I got my apprenticeship. I'd been trying to get into a tattoo studio, as an apprentice, for the better part of 2 years, before this I was working as a prop maker / painter at a workshop in York, it wasn't for me. I spoke with and visited a few tattoo studios, in and around the north of England, I had some good experiences and some bad but ultimately nothing came from this. I decided that the little portfolio of work I had wasn't good enough and that I'd work on my art until I felt ready to try for an apprenticeship again. My confidence grew and I took part in an art exhibition. Then in May / June last year I decided that I was going to book in for a tattoo with someone who's work I was a massive fan of, my friend had recently been for a tattoo from John and she seemed to think there might be space at the studio for an apprentice (thanks Pauline!). I was going to show him my artwork while I was there, I was skint but wanted to take the chance and nearly bottled the whole thing when I found out how honest he was rumoured to be, I still didn't have the confidence to ask about an apprenticeship! Luckily with the help of a pushy boyfriend (thanks Chris!) I showed John one of my paintings, it went down well and this is how I got my apprenticeship.
So currently I live in York, work in Seaham and stay with family most of the week in Hartlepool, I feel like I spend most of my time driving but I know how lucky I am, both with the apprenticeship and with having such a supportive family.
And since I feel like I've written an essay.... here is a painting that I've nearly finished, I feel like I've been working on it forever but since starting the apprenticeship there hasn't been a whole lot of time for painting (which I miss a lot, but drawing has taken over), I think I may give up sleep just so I have more painting time, I always feel more inspired on a night anyway....
 night night x

No comments:

Post a Comment